How to Maintain Curly Hair: Your Guide to Keeping Curly Hair Healthy
Healthy curly hair is on everyone’s minds… regardless of the curl type. From type 1 straight curls to type 4 coily curls, there are many different types of curly hair. But the one thing that they all have in common is that knowledge is key to maintaining curly hair full of bounce and beauty effortlessly. With some simple steps and product recommendations, we’ll show you how to deal with curly hair whatever your hair type.
How to Manage Curly Hair: 10 Easy Steps to Maintain Healthy Curls
Learn how to keep curly hair healthy with our easy-to-follow guide. In just ten simple steps you can discover products for frizzy curly hair and some easy adjustments to your routine to help you learn how to manage curly hair.
1. Switch up your diet when managing curly hair. The first step in how to keep hair curly is to understand how your diet affects your curly locks. What you eat has the ability to boost your hair and get you on the path to healthy, frizz-free curls. Avoid processed food and opt for a healthy diet full of omega 3, vitamin B12, iron, and zinc. A few foods we recommend include:
- Leafy Greens
2. Avoid using a brush on your curly hair. If you’re wondering how to keep hair curly, you should know that a brush will do more damage to keeping your healthy hair curly than good. Instead, try using a wide-tooth comb to detangle your curly frizzy hair. For stubborn knots and tangles, use Suave Cream Detangler Spray along with our other great Suave Products for frizzy curly hair.
3. Find the best curly hair care routine for you. From how to sleep to how you style your hair, a good curly hair routine is important. For more advice on how to maintain curly hair, check out our article on curly hair care routines.
4. Don’t wash your curly hair so often! You may think it counter-intuitive, but you only need to wash your curls every 3-4 days. All you need is a good shampoo for curly hair, such as our Sulfate-Free Cleansing Shampoo and Moisturizing Curl Conditioner and a bit of cold water to wash your hair and keep your curls looking fabulous.
5. Be careful how you dry your curly hair. Knowing how to treat curly hair when washing it is not the only time you need to take care of your hair. Rubbing your hair dry with a towel could actually lead to you having frizzy curly hair. Use an old t-shirt to keep your hair smooth instead.
6. Hydrate your curls with a conditioner for curly hair – and leave the curly hair conditioner in your hair. To achieve smooth curls and keep them as healthy as possible, Suave Nourish & Strengthen Leave-in Conditioner is the conditioner for curly hair. Apply the conditioner and leave it to do exactly what it says on the label – nourish and strengthen your curls.
7. Keep your hairdresser appointments, especially when it comes to curly hair. Healthy curly hair needs to be maintained. Keeping your hair trimmed and in perfect shape will ensure that it is not only more manageable but also healthier.
8. Choose your curly hair styles wisely. Be adventurous when it comes to maintaining healthy curly hair, but avoid the heat styling! We recommend loose styles such as braids, or updos using our Define & Shine Serum Gel to utilize your curls. You could even do a simple up-down look with curly hair products for women such as Suave Curl Defining Cream to really show of your curls.
9. Choose the right shampoo for frizzy curly hair. Take time to figure out the best curly hair shampoo and curly hair routine for your curl type, and then commit to following through with this curly hair care guide. Less is more: If you stick to one curl hair shampoo, you’re more likely to perfect the application and prevent frizzy hair in the process.
10. Try not to touch your curly hair. Try to avoid touching your curly hair after you’ve finished your curly hair styling routine. Playing with your hair destroys the shape of your curls.
How Often Should You Wash Your Hair If You Have Curly Hair?
We recommend washing your curly hair every 2 or 3 days. Washing every day removes all the natural oils from your hair.
How Do You Keep Your Hair Curly?
- You can skip the conditioner for curly hair once in a while to keep those curls intact.
- And, try using a curl cream on your hair to define the curls and to help keep curly hair maintained. Avoid using too much product as it can weigh down your hair and not keep your hair as healthy as you would like.
- Use sponge rollers or hairpins to roll up your curly hair.
- Suave hair sprays and hair gels for curly hair can also keep the curly hairstyles in place.
See how easy it is to learn how to manage curly hair and how to keep hair curly? With just ten easy adjustments to your life and routine – and some awesome curly hair products – you can now take steps towards maintaining beautiful, bouncy – and most importantly, healthy curly hair.