TRUST IN SUAVE
At Suave, we have been helping America live beautifully since 1937. We believe everyone deserves access to beauty that sparks happiness for your hair, body, and soul. Since the 1940s, we have been developing products with safe, high-quality ingredients designed to bring joy to you and your entire family as you use them every day. This is why today, you can still find us in 1 out of 2 US households (and counting).
Whatever are your and your families’ haircare, skin care or hygiene needs, you can have complete confidence that Suave products will help you boost your mind, body and spirit while adhering to the highest global safety and quality standards.
Trust in our process
For every Suave product we develop, we start with key insights about the most sought-after salon trends and develop unique formulations that deliver on performance and quality. Before making our products available to consumers, we make health and safety our top priority. All Suave formulas are safe to use and meet the highest global standards in safety and quality. Before being selected for our formulas, each of our ingredients undergoes an industry-proven, comprehensive safety evaluation by Unilever scientists, who assess data from leading third-party industry organizations, regulators, and our in-house experts. We rigorously assess all Suave products to ensure all ingredients, manufacturing and labeling comply with applicable laws and regulations all over the world.
Standard evaluations we conduct on our products prior to going to market include:
- Stability Testing: testing done to ensure that consumers will get a quality product that is safe and stable for use under different temperature and humidity conditions.
- Safety Assessments: a review of what ingredients are used in every formulation and in what quantity. This helps make sure that we only use what is needed to provide safe and effective products.
- EcoDesign Review: review of environmental impact and compliance with sustainability targets.
- Microbiological Testing: tests that the product is preserved for the duration of its shelf life. This ensures that no microorganisms, bacteria, and mold are growing in our products.
- Regulatory Assessment: ensures that our products, their ingredients, how they are manufactured and labeled comply with all federal and state laws.
- Fragrance Testing: consumer or expert panel testing on any new fragrances used within our products
In addition, we commonly test our products for efficacy to ensure they deliver the top-tier results our consumers expect. Examples of these testing methodologies include:
- Double-blind testing against competitors assessed by professional stylists and consumers
- Technical instrumental testing to ensure performance
- At-home user testing with 100+ participating consumers nationwide.
Preservatives & Dmdm
Similar to other cosmetic brands in the industry, we use certain ingredients when necessary to help preserve the quality of our products. Otherwise, our products could grow moldy, change color, or start to smell.
Select Suave products use DMDM hydantoin (dimethyl-dimethylhydantoin) as a stabilizing preservative. Regulators and third-party organizations all over the world, like the independent Cosmetics Ingredient Review board, which have conducted safety reviews on DMDMH, deem it safe for use in cosmetics (this includes everything from makeup, skincare, and other personal care products).
For more information on DMDM hydantoin safety, please reference the following third-party resources:
- Cosmetic Ingredient Review
- American Chemistry Council
Nonetheless, by the end of 2021, all Suave products will be DMDM hydantoin free. To see if your Suave product contains DMDM hydantoin, please refer to our ingredient labels, which differ for each product.
Our animal testing policy
Globally, Suave does not test on animals and is certified Cruelty-Free by PETA. Over 40 years ago our parent company, Unilever, started developing and using non-animal methods to assess product safety. Unilever’s ongoing work on alternatives to animal testing, and its commitment to advocate for their acceptance globally, has also been recognised by PETA, which lists Unilever as a company working for regulatory change.
Our suave promise
At Suave, we stand by the quality of our products, and nothing is more important to us than your complete satisfaction. If you are not satisfied with the results of your Suave shampoos or conditioners, please reach out to our Customer Service team here.
Controlling for Benzene
Benzene is not an ingredient that we add to our products. Any benzene detected in the final product usually occurs because of its natural presence in certain raw materials. We have strict quality controls in place that limit the presence of benzene in our deodorant, skincare and haircare products and require that any traces found fall within defined safety levels. All of our products are rigorously assessed by our safety scientists and meet the highest global standards in quality and safety as well as applicable laws and regulations, so that you can have complete trust in Suave.